Quick and dirty post today on how to improve your blog’s search engine optimization (SEO). Obviously any one of these could be a post on its own, but we’ll keep it basic for now.
1. Start at the URL level, and choose a domain name which includes at least one of your keywords.
2. Title your site, using the title tags, with the name of the site and an appropriate keyword or two.
3. Analyze your competition to determine how they’re doing with SEO. Find a highly ranked site in your niche and see how it ranks for valuable keywords. Then take a look through their source to see how they’re tagging the site. Also check out where their backlinks are coming from.
4. When setting up your feed, don’t use the “see more” feature. Always try and go full-text. While you may get more page views from forcing readers to click through to read your content, you risk confusing the search engines (and frustrating some of your fans).
5. Don’s skimp out on the About page. Summarize who you are, what your site’s about, and don’t be afraid to throw a few main keywords in there.
6. Use keywords for all of your pages and posts instead of the generic “post=1″ far too many WordPress users seem to be so fond of.
7. Try to make your categories as specific as possible. It’s tough, and we didn’t do the best job at it here either, but the more specific the better. But don’t go overboard on creating a new category for every post. Try to keep everything as tight as possible.
8. Always be looking for more relevant keywords in your niche. And while you’re at it, be sure to check how you’re ranking for your chosen keywords on a regular basis.
9. Last, but definitely not least, don’t ever plagiarize. If you find a post you really like on another blog, either paraphrase it or rewrite the whole thing in your own words. When you need to quote something from another site, keep the quote short and sweet, and put it in quotes with an attribution to the original author and a link back to her page.
And there you have it. 9 incredibly simple ways to help improve the SEO on your site in no time. If you have any more quick tips to share, let us know in the comments, and when we have enough great tips from our readers we’ll make another post attributing all of you for your hard work.